Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Why I wear predominately skirts

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to eliminate pants from my wardrobe for a variety of reasons. So far I still wear pants to work (cause it's part of the uniform) and maybe once or  twice a week to school, but inshallah I will stop wearing them entirely soon. I hope that once Mohamed and I are married, he never sees me in a pair of pants.
1) Skirts are so much more modest than pants. In pants, everyone can see the shape of your legs. they can tell how fat/skinny your legs are, they can tell if they are muscular or not, they can see the shape of a woman's private area. Personally, I don't want men to be able to see all of that.

2) Skirts are way more fun than wearing jeans everyday. Jeans and trousers just come in a few styles and colors but you can find skirts in every cut and color imaginable. So much more fun.

3) (i must admit, I am totally stealing this from the blog Feelin' Feminine cause I like it so much!) Skirts are romantic. Wanna know how to kill the balcony scene in romeo and Juliet? Put Juliet in pants. He-he, I had to borrow that one, I just think it's hilarious (and true!)

4)I feel so much prettier in skirts. Jeans are unflattering on me and on many women because they are designed to hug the thighs and curves whereas skirts flow over any imperfections thus hiding them.

Please note that my opinions on modesty, skirts and being a stay at home wife aren't necessarily the Islamic veiw. Being a working wife is allowed in Islam, but it is no better or worse than staying at home. Women have to dress modestly in long and loose clothing and we are supposed to wear a jilbab or abaya over top of the clothes we wear at home, but there is nothing that I know of which says pants are haram. It's just a personal preference. I say that because I am concerned about someone reading this blog and thinking that it is fard (mandatory) for a woman to stay at home and wear nothing but skirts. It's a preference.

In other news, I am about half way done with my first embroidery project! I'm working on a pillowcase that says Sweet Dreams. so far it's looking pretty good, alhumdulilah.I haven't had too many problems with it. So far it's been very easy, there is NO cross-stitching involved thank Allah! (cross stitching is my enemy. It must be vanquished! LOL)

3 comments:

  1. You shouldn't keep your housewife dream a secret :-) There's no shame! I'm a houswife.

    There's a great book I'm reading and although it keeps blabbing about "gee is it ok with Feminism for me to do this?" (which is silly. we don't need Feminism to ok our lives) even though it does that, it's still a fantastic book: Radical Homemakers

    Another fantastic book you can get through Marmeedear.com is "Home Making" ~ not about housework but about how to make a house a home. It's Christian but even still, it's from a religious perspective rather then secularized half to death.

    We have "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" great book

    and for reference: Home Comforts

    For fiction: "Mother" very old book and I think you get it through Vision Forum

    There's a magazine out "Seasons At Home" that's religious (Christian)

    I'm so sorry that I don't know any MUSLIM books. I'm not trying to convert you haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops Home Making is through Vision Forum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE HOme Comfrots! I just bought it a couple week ago but since I was so busy with graduation and exams I'm only on page 64! Gasp! That's how many pages I would usually get through in one hour! I feel pathetic. LOL. But yea, I'll look up the other ones. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete